DUHS Statement On Community Assistance and Investment in Response to State Treasurer’s Report
Duke University Health System is a non-profit health system dedicated to caring for and promoting the health and well-being of the communities and patients we serve. Our financial commitment to these critical efforts is demonstrated in many ways, as detailed in our community benefit statement published annually on our website and in financial filings. For the 2021-22 fiscal year, DUHS reported a total community investment of $823 million, including $141 million in financial assistance to nearly 270,000 patients, 85% of whom reside in areas neighboring Durham County.
The COVID-19 pandemic presented an unprecedented public health crisis that is still affecting our local communities, as well as the state and nation at large. From its onset in 2020, DUHS played an integral role in responding to these challenge by:
- Quickly setting up mass community vaccination, diagnostic, and treatment sites;
- Providing more than 787,000 COVID-19 tests;
- Administering more than 445,000 doses of vaccines;
- Caring for thousands of patients who were diagnosed with COVID, including more than 8,200 who were hospitalized;
- Remaining committed to achieving equitable health outcomes for those hospitalized for COVID-19, with a goal of no disparities in care, treatment, or outcomes.
Our COVID response measures occurred while many regular hospital and clinical services were halted or slowed. Federal resources were allocated to help offset the financial impact of those business interruptions, and helped DUHS keep all 25,000 staff members fully employed. It is worth noting that Duke Health did not lay off or furlough any staff members despite the significant disruptions in normal business operations and the extraordinary demands presented by the pandemic. While the COVID relief funds have been helpful in easing the negative financial impacts of the pandemic, they have not offset the lost revenues and additional expenses attributed to the measures taken to care for the communities we serve.